[SCA-Dance] Origin of the name "Ly Bens Distonys"?

White, John white at drexel.edu
Fri Jan 15 11:18:41 EST 2010

> From: Tim McDaniel
>
> I'm not asking about the dance "Ly Bens Distonys" itself (a Gresley
> dance).  I dimly recall reading that there was a medieval romance
> where the main character was a knight named something like "Le Bien
> Distonys".  But Googling is getting me nowhere.  Does this tickle
> anyone else's neurons?
>
> Danielis de Lincolia
> --

How about this?  From http://www.sfsu.edu/~medieval/Volume4/Zaerr.html,
a reference to a fourteenth-century Middle English piece titled
Lybeaus Desconus (linked to a thirteenth-century Old French piece
called Le Bel Inconnu).  Haven't actually read the article, but that's
an interestingly close name.

I'm sure someone can come up with something better, though.

     \\Dafydd Cyhoeddwr