[SCA-Dance] Branles & Chansons

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Feb 16 12:51:30 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:35:18PM +0100, Mikuláš wrote:

> just wondering lately: what are our sources for sung branles?

For Arbeau, here's article giving sources for many of the melodies:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryeh4/dance/Arbeau1.html

I suspect if you looked them up you'd find few have words, which is
very different from other genres such as ECD, where it's easy to find
words (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html).

Uracca's point about singing while dancing is a good one; the dancers
sang while dancing carols, but there's no reference to dancers singing
or even dancing to a choir after that.

-- Gregory