[SCA-Dance] Illustration

Barbara Webb bwebb at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 1 15:14:03 EST 2010

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:56:43 -0600 (CST)
> From: Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com>
> Subject: [SCA-Dance] [sca-dance] Status of an illo?
>
> I can't tell from that, though, whether it's a medieval illustration,
> or done by McGee or another modern person.  Anyone have the source to
> know?

I have the McGee book. The illustration there (plate 4) is a black & white
photo of an illuminated manuscript picture (not a line drawing as in the
LoD) with this caption: "Music in the Garden of Delight, Guillamume de
Lorris and Jean de Meun, Le Roman de Rose. Valencia, Biblioteca
Universitaria, MS 387, fol 6v."

Hope that helps. The full picture is even more interesting, as it seems to
contain also two women kissing, a musician with a monkey, a woman with a
child or midget on her shoulders and another woman spinning plates!

cheers

Caitlin

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.