[SCA-Dance] SCA Created Dances - Hole in the Wall

Jennifer Dobyns jendobyns at verizon.net
Fri Apr 30 21:28:26 EDT 2010

Hello Lady Jane/NIcole, et al,

Nicole, where are you learning your Baroque dance & music?  The
nearest class to me is at Goucher College, and it's a mixed historic
dance group iirc, and you'd have to attend the university to dance
with them.  And it's an hour away.  If you know of a group between
Baltimore and DC I'd love to hear about it.  Cheryl developed other
interests so no more Court Dancers.

OK, the bustle thing makes sense now.  Cunnington is a bit out dated
for period references, her work being originally published in 1951, so
that accounts for her using the term "bustle" where we would use
another term now.  Nicole Kipar and I have been correspondents in the
past, and I would trust her research.  At one point she was pretty
much cutting edge for reenactors of her period in Europe (as one
person put it, back when most people thought you were talking about a
barking dog when someone mentioned Waugh*g*).  She has high standards
and she has a good website.  When she put up the pages with members of
L'Age D'Or inserted into period art work, it was truly impressive!  I
haven't checked to see if they are still up, they might have been on
another list serve when we had a discussion group.  It's been a while.

I agree about the info from Keller, although her work does seem to be
inconsistent.  She makes a good argument in one of her works for
correct technique, though in others she's presenting dance instruction
that's more modern in sensibility.  And unlike some publications,
she's readily accessible to the general public.  Not my favorite, but
then, most folks don't like the more complicated work.

I would love to talk to you more about this off list.

Jen/Genevieve