[SCA-Dance] SCA Created Dances - Hole in the Wall

Niki janeeve2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 17:57:45 EDT 2010

Hello Genevieve:

I'm learning Baroque & Colonial Dance/Music outside of the SCA.  There are groups all over the world (for Baroque) who teach it.  If anyone is interested, I can help you find a group close to you.

Citing references:

Bustle:
Willett. C & Cunnington, Phillis (1992) "The Historiy of Underclothes". Dover Publications, Inc. New York.
"About 1690, with the overskirt becomming bunched up at the back, it was natural that the bustle should return - at least for a brief spell (Mrs. Centlivre mentioned 'rump furbelows', meaning this type of bustle in the Platonic Lady 1707) - only to be replaced early in the eighteenth century by the hooped petticoat."

This is supported by: Nicole Kipar's website, which uses different words, but is the same idea: http://www.kipar.org/baroque-costumes/costumes_female.html
"The upper skirt, the robe or manteau, was slit in the front and draped back, in the 1670s this drapery was still held gracefully with one arm or by a young page, soon to be fastened with jewelled dress fasteners. The manteau, which was draped on the hips, was supported by artificial round shapes at the back of the wearer, the so-called bouffantes, while the waist was extremely small, and all the fabric of the under skirt, the jupe or petticoat and the overskirt being gathered. Thus the female figure seemed, despite the masses of fabric being used, to be more bared than actually covered."

This is shown by the gathering in the back of several works of art, at the link I provided earlier.

In regards to Kate Keller, while I have read some of her works, and appreciate the reprints of General George Bush's diary which shows music and dances done by the Continental Army (Rev War), I very rarely use her as a source.  So, if you are going to think of myself and Keller, err on the side of not using the information for anything other than basic 18th Century dance information.

Nicole
(Since this information would have been around long after my personae would have passed on)

And could you please cite your references to the part with the clothing descriptions that are not from the websites?  I am having difficulty in accepting the description of a "bustle", since the form of hip padding used in that time period is of a different shape and construction.  The actual description of the shape leads me to think that what is meant should actually be referred to as a bum roll.  As I only have a facsimile edition of the 1651 version, I can't compare notes with the Keller publication.  If it's out of that, Keller is not a period clothing expert, so he may just not understand the proper terminology and not have considered such a detail important.  But it is if you want to know how to do the dance and understand things like spacing and timing (and that includes the music, which is usually played too fast for dancing in the clothes).

Sorry if this has turned out a bit long, but I love baroque dance technique and really miss practicing it.  ECD as done by most historically minded folks doesn't usually extend so far.  And I really like the clothes ;-)

Lady Genevieve D'Aubigne