[SCA-Dance] SCA Created Dances

Lisa Marx shusmarx at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 13:08:58 EDT 2010

We also danced Hole in the Wall in a couple of different colonial dance groups, here is Alaska as well as in NC and Tennessee, also without the bowing.  The local custom in our "home" colonial dance group in North Carolina was to step in one step, pivoting to come side-by-side as a couple (facing away from the set) before casting, mostly to use up time.  I admit I have never seen palming with this dance, neither in colonial or SCA settings...so I'm curious in what areas that has become the tradition.

The 1721 edition of Playford gives the directions as:

The 1. cu. cast off below the 2. cu. and lead up in the middle.   The 2. cu. cast up and lead down the middle:
The 1. Man crosses over with the 2. Wo. and the 1. Wo. with the 2. Man, so all four hands half round, and so cast off into the 2. cu. place, the rest do the like.

I still seem to think I saw this dance in a 1685-ish edition of Playford, but alas, I don't own a copy to be able to check that...

Elisa