[SCA-Dance] SCA Created Dances

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Apr 22 14:14:25 EDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, White, John <white at drexel.edu> wrote:
> I understand (perhaps 12th hand) that Heralds in Love was never
> supposed to be a commonly-done dance (I could be wrong).

The choreographer of the dance Heralds in Love didn't write that in
his article about it for the Letter of Dance,
<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol2/heralds.html>.  The tune Heralds
in Love was written without any notion of a dance being developed for
it, and perhaps that got muddled along the way to what you heard?

When Vesper Herald married Morsulus Herald, Harpy Herald wrote them a
tune as a wedding gift.  "It sounded enough like an ECD tune that,
after my honeymoon, I felt compelled to invent one to fit the music."
He likes haying, so he started with the final hey, and then noticed
that it decomposed into two 4-person hays, providing the previous two
choruses, and that leads naturally into a USA-structured [1] English
Country Dance.

[1] Oddly enough, I only heard the term "USA" recently.
         Up a double and back
         Siding
         Arming

Danihel de Lindecolina