[SCA-Dance] On siding and arming

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Tue Sep 29 08:56:09 EDT 2009

Mary Railing wrote:
> For instance, one of the instructions for Queens has the second double forward and back start with the right foot going forward and the left foot going backwards.  It doesn't say whether the set and turn following this should also start to the right, but it would make sense.

Actually, the version of Queen's that we were mainly working from when
we made our decision (Douce, reprinted in Patri's book) appears to go
the other way:

"A double forward & a.d. backe. 2 singles syde & a.d. rounde on your
lefte hande. a.d. forwarde & a.d. backe. 2 s. syde & a.d. round on your
right hande."

That is, this one appears to be explicit about the direction of the set
and turns, not the steps. So that's somewhat stronger supporting evidence.

(Of course, playing Devil's Advocate, the fact that they're so explicit
about it sometimes means that it was *not* usual. Hard to be sure with
any of this.)

> Since these manuscripts are contemporary with Playford, this may also be the way the repeats in Playford dances should be done, but this interpretation has never (yet) caught on in the SCA.

Starting the second double forward with the right? This is actually
exactly how I usually dance ECD and Almans, and how I teach it when I'm
getting into fine details. I find it extremely natural -- it means that
you're doing an almost strict alternation of feet, and everything flows
together nicely.

				-- Justin