[SCA-Dance] On siding and arming

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 21:40:41 EDT 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 05:09:18PM -0400, Felice Debbage wrote:
>> Aaaand... finally. If Cai's asking the question, "How many groups side left
>> first," I want to know this: "How many groups alternate R and L set and
>> turning, or even alternate the turn singly move in dances like Gathering
>> Peascods?"
>
> Carolingia alternates; the West mostly alternates, except for me. :-)

It's worth noting here that Carolingia *used* to always set and turn to
the left. We switched about, I dunno, 20 years ago, based more or less
entirely on Queen's Alman. It's very weak evidence, but that one dance
is quite explicit about the alternation (and which side comes first),
and lacking any better evidence, we decided to adopt it as the standard
pattern...

				-- Justin