[SCA-Dance] On siding and arming

Benjamin Pung ben at houseofpung.net
Mon Sep 28 19:06:17 EDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 1:33 PM, Jeffrey Hoskinson wrote:

> 2. I know Playford was pretty ambiguous on this (typically saying
> "Sides all. That again" and the like). Is there any reason that one us
> more likely than the other?

In similar figures in the 16th century Italian repertoire (Contrapasso
in Due comes to mind), circling is done by right hands first, then
left. In this case, at least, the figure begins on the left foot, so
circling clockwise (i.e. by right hands) is more natural, and the
return circle starts on the right foot, and thus the left hand.

--Lorenzo