[SCA-Dance] On siding and arming

Felice Debbage felicedebbage at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:09:18 EDT 2009

Seriously interesting question, Cai.

I think that also falls into the category of what foot you start on for
doubling, siding, etc, and also which way you set and turn first (or both
times, for that matter), since you're right-- it's ambiguous.

In the Barony of Middle Marches (and in Flaming Gryphon) (so, Columbus and
Dayton, Ohio), we start the footwork always on the left, but do arming and
siding with the right side first.

I've often wondered if the left footwork thing had its origins in the "left
is weaker so it goes first" ideas presented by Caroso. I'm totally
paraphrasing him here, but he does offer an explanation in Nobilita about
why you start on the left foot when the right foot is clearly the dominant
one. Perhaps that methodology was present in England during the mid 17th
century? (Probably, the best way to tell would be to see if people still
bought into rationales like the ones Caroso presents during that time
period.)

As for Recuil de Contradanses... do you know, Gregory, if that particular
book delineates which foot goes first? I haven't studied it closely. Could
it have "telephoned" into "right" first by the early 18th century? After
all, a number of more modern-looking dances start their basic movements on
the right foot. (I'm thinking Scottish country dance, here.)

Aaaand... finally. If Cai's asking the question, "How many groups side left
first," I want to know this: "How many groups alternate R and L set and
turning, or even alternate the turn singly move in dances like Gathering
Peascods?"

I hadn't seen anybody doing the alternations on those until KWDS 9 this past
summer, but I hadn't been traveling far out of the Middle Kingdom before
then.