[SCA-Dance] On siding and arming

Jeffrey Hoskinson jeffhos at eclecsia.org
Mon Sep 28 13:33:30 EDT 2009

So this is something I've alway been curious about. Here in the
Debatable Lands (Pittsburgh, PA), we side & arm left first, then
right. Just for clarification, that means we side to meet left
shoulders first. At _every_ dance event I've been to outside of our
local area, siding and arming have been done right first, then left.

So I have two questions here:

1. Are we really the _only_ group in the Known World that sides & arms
this way? Or have I just not run into any of the others?

2. I know Playford was pretty ambiguous on this (typically saying
"Sides all. That again" and the like). Is there any reason that one us
more likely than the other?

Thanks to all who respond.
-- Cai o'r Llyn
Dancemaster, Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands