[SCA-Dance] Call For Papers: Kalamazoo Medieval Congress

Catherine Dean catherinedean at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:31:04 EDT 2009

Posting on behalf of a friend.  PLEASE forward to any and all relevant
kingdom, local, and non-SCA dance lists.

Thanks!

Long Ago and Far Away: Intra-european perspectives on early modern dance.
Early Dance at Kalamazoo
45th International Congress on Medieval Studies

The 45th International Congress on Medieval Studies takes place May
13-16, 2010.

Early Dance at Kalamazoo is an organization formed to encourage further
scholarship at Kalamazoo in the field of early dance and its relation to
other disciplines, including literature, art history,
musicology, theater, history, and textiles through the interdisciplinary
pursuit, independently or in conjunction, of textual and performative
research. We are particularly interested in forming links between scholars
in the field of dance history and those in other disciplines, as each group
is, to its detriment, often unaware of the significant work done by the
other. We focus on different aspects of issues in dance reconstruction and
the general subject area, bringing together scholars of dance, manuscript
illumination, textiles, and church history.

This year's proposed session looks at cross-cultural aspects of and
perspectives on early modern dance, its history, and textual background,
such as the Renaissance French interpretation of dance in the Ottoman
Empire. It is a segment of the field that is rarely studied or discussed and
deserves greater attention in order to further understanding of greater
cross-cultural currents in 15th and 16th century Europe.

We are seeking papers dealing with these themes for the session
entitled "Long Ago and Far Away: Intra-european perspectives on early
modern dance."  Abstracts are to be sent to earlydanceatkzoo at gmail.com
and are needed before the end of September.

For more information on the Congress, visit:
http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/

--
Catherine E. Dean
Historically Inspired Designs