[SCA-Dance] pennsicdance: Borders and KWDS - Paying and Passports

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Fri May 15 08:16:21 EDT 2009

Hello again.  Quick public service announcement.

1.  Paying for pre-registration at KWDS:  Although USD cheques are a
possibility, we are unable to offer an exchange rate (just 1:1), and so
we've been suggesting potentially to get Canadian Dollar money orders.
Gregory was kind enough to send me a web link that might be useful in this


"At $3.85, it's much cheaper than paying US$ at par, and last time I
checked my bank will charge me some huge fee for checks cashed in

2.  Passports:  As of June 1st 2009, the rules will come into effect that
you will need a passport to cross the border between Canada and the US, even
by land.  However, it sounds like there may actually be a few options
available  (such as Nexus card, or perhaps a special driver's license).  I'm
not certain which options are feasible in the 2 months left before the
event, but here are some web links that hopefully should help.  (I'm not a
US citizen, so hopefully I've got the correct ones):

US Links:

Land Travel:

Travel in general: http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

US Passports:  http://travel.state.gov/

Nexus Program  (not sure how long this takes):

Canadian links:

Oh, and always remember:  When travelling with SCAdians across International
Borders, Learn their REAL NAMES before you get to the border!  It looks
really suspicious if you don't know the first name of people you are
travelling with!  :)

Hope this helps!  See you at the event!
pennsicdance mailing list
pennsicdance at pbm.com

More information about the Sca-dance mailing list