[SCA-Dance] Music Question for the group - Knowledge / Preferences for Medieval Wedding Music

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:38:59 EST 2009

Hello most learned ones,

Hopefully no one minds me abusing this list for a moment, to seek some
information, and/or opinions regarding Music for weddings.

A SCAdian friend of mine was looking for something as a substitute for the
traditional wedding march for proceeding up and back down the aisle, and so
I figured that I would inquire (plus it may give me some ideas for my own
wedding).

Firstly, does anyone have info handy regarding Actual Period Wedding Music?
That would be neat!

Otherwise, or as well, would anyone like to recommend music that they think
would be really nice / work the best for both processing up the aisle, and
then back down again, for a couple?  I was going to poke through my music
collection to see what sounded good, but I figured that if anyone had some
good ideas off-hand, it might save some searching.

Just off the top of my head, I was thinking that a Pavanne or Alman would be
suitable.  I'm sure one would want it to be sort of regal enough / happy
enough  (I'm looking for the right words, mainly that it wouldn't sound
"sad" or something.  I'm not sure.  Maybe it just depends on how one closes
off the piece.  I'm just trying to visualize if something like Belle Qui
would actually work?)

Oh, and not to violate the email list rules or anything, but just in case
someone has a really good suggestion of something slightly more recent, that
might be handy too.  (like from classical music).  But preferrably I just
figured that a discussion of period music would be the most interesting.

Thanks everyone!