[SCA-Dance] singing accompaniment

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Fri Jun 26 12:41:53 EDT 2009

Ah, neat. Looks like it's from Robert Cox, Actæon and Diana, 1656, and
it turns out I even have a recording with those words by Albion
Band...

It seems challenging to sing at a dance tempo, though. For the
Playford dance, I like to play Staines Morris as fast as quarter note
= 120 (for the 2/4 version on dtrad, anyway; it would be half note =
120 if you were writing it in 4/4), but it's rather tricky to get all
those runs in there at that speed. You can either skip the second note
of each pair of slurred 16th notes entirely, or hold the first one
longer and turn the second of each pair into almost a grace note. I
think that would make it much easier to sing at dance tempo -- the
problem isn't that there are too many words, as in Daphne, there are
just too many notes.

-Aaron Drummond