[SCA-Dance] singing accompaniment

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Fri Jun 26 11:29:54 EDT 2009

What words are you using for Staines Morris? The dance for Staines
Morris is 1651, and Trenchmore is 1652. Tomorrow the Fox was published
by Ravenscroft in Pammelia, 1609. (I've taken to playing GOOP jigs for
Trenchmore, because I can't stand it otherwise, but Tomorrow the Fox
is at least better than playing the tune that appears in Playford over
and over.)

Also, a majority of the ballads for the 1651 tunes are later 17th
century, anyway.

Jamaica is a great tune, and Jovial Broome Man works well at dance
tempo. It's 3rd edition, 1670, but Sellenger's Round and Black Nag
were both published in 1670, and we do those all the time without many
complaints. (Of course, there are many earlier references to
Sellenger's Round, but not to Black Nag AFAIK.)

-Aaron Drummond