[SCA-Dance] singing accompaniment

White, John white at drexel.edu
Fri Jun 26 10:13:44 EDT 2009

>From:  David Learmonth [david.a.learmonth at gmail.com]

Lady Jane Milford has found some information about this, in tangent to her
research codified here: http://www.originsofplayforddance.com/

I've also run across a number of tunes with words in the process of gathering
together as many danceable versions of 1st Edition ECDs as I can (I've
reconstructed all of them, and have danceable music for all but 10).

>Bonny Bonny Broome (should work well at dance tempo),

Works very well in fact.

>Daphne (for Daphne or HIt and Miss, would probably be a bit rushed),

I've got music with words for this, but the issue I have with it is that a) the
music that I have doesn't have enough repeats of the B-music for Daphne,
and it doesn't work at all for Hit and Miss ...

I may have vocal music for some of those you have listed - I know that both
June Tabor and the Baltimore Consort have provided me with several
examples - Ms Tabor loves ECDs and has a number of them on her CDs, some
of which she sings to (the one I have in my mind at the moment is
"Rose is Red, Rose is White"); and the Baltimore Consort with their ballad
CDs provided some surprising examples.  All that I have will be on my
iPod at KWDS.

      \\Arglwydd Dafydd Cyhoeddwr