[SCA-Dance] Introductory article

Barbara Webb bwebb at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 12:44:12 EDT 2009

> From: Jane & Mark Waks <waks at comcast.net>
> Subject: [SCA-Dance] What belongs in a brief introductory dance
> 	article?
> The high-concept goal here is clear: do what can be done in a *short*
> article (limit of 2-3000 words) to give a new person a start on period
> dance for events. I *suspect* that it should have a very brief overview
> of the topic, but should mainly focus on describing a few appropriate
> dances, probably with a discography of a few good recordings.

I agree that it would be best to include a few choreographies (so that it
can be used immediately to start a group dancing) and then say where to
find out more. Can I add a suggestion (perhaps already intended but not
explicit above) that the actual music for the dances (not just where to
find a recording) be included. I'd like to encourage people to try to find
someone to play it live rather than immediately go to a recording. Also it
can help a lot in trying to figure out a dance if the steps are written
out to the music (as in Arbeau). I have a few dances already written out
that way from my dance booklets (specifically Lebens disinens, Petit
Vriens, Amoroso, Cupido, Double Bransle, Maltese Bransle (Arbeau's)); if
you would like to re-use any of them I can provide pdfs/jpegs.

That also gives me a thought - have the editors planned for an article on
period music at all?

Caitlin

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.