[SCA-Dance] etiquette while lifting a lady (was The Creepy, the rude, and the weird)

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 03:33:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM, (John) Byron
Boyd<SCAlutenist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have dropped a lady on the floor, but it wasn't during the Official
> Bransle.  Perhaps other kingdoms follow the custom of the "surprise
> ending" during Korobushka.  Here, experienced dancers often end it with
> the lady sitting on the thigh of the kneeling lord.  Once, when I and my
> partner did this, she sat on my thigh so that she was not balanced.  I
> tried to hold her, but she feel backwards onto the floor.

This is why I do the "fake sit."  I bend as if sitting, but never put
my weight on the man's leg.  If he's there, it looks good.  If he's
not, I don't end up on my butt.

--Perronnelle

--
We will never be an advanced civilzation as long as rain showers can
delay the launching of a space rocket.  -- George Carlin