[SCA-Dance] being picky about Arbeau's double step

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Oct 24 17:38:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:38:30PM -0400, Jane & Mark Waks wrote:

> *Blink*. That's how we've always done them -- I've been teaching the
> "jumping jack steps" (an imprecise but convenient approximation) for
> twenty years. It hadn't occurred to me that that wasn't the usual case.

Well, that reconstruction hasn't become that common outside of
Carolingia. I'm more of a fan of just being more bouncy when doing the
step, with none of the straight-leg-ness of the jumping jack.

BTW Caroso, Negri, and Santucci all say you should bounce a little
when doing the first two steps of the Seguito Ordinario. This is also
something that I rarely see.

For both this and the Arbeau bounces, I find that they look great, but
take a lot of energy.

-- Gregory