[SCA-Dance] Fw: being picky about Arbeau's double step

Andrew Casson acasson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 15:12:26 EDT 2008

Hello all,

What Leonor is describing is not actually a grapevine step (as I've
always understood them, from various kinds of dance) because there are
no alternating steps in front and behind; only steps to the side, and
one slightly behind on the second beat. This basically just equates to
walking ever so slightly backwards through the step, and straightening
up at the end ready to change direction. It does feels very unforced and
natural, but whether it's any more consistent with Arbeau than a
grapevine step would be, I can't say — haven't got the description to hand.

Andrew