[SCA-Dance] Sca-dance Digest, Vol 37, Issue 3

rosina at pathcom.com rosina at pathcom.com
Tue Nov 25 17:24:28 EST 2008

>> The local folks here in the West still do the Burgundian bassadanze
>> doubles in 2+2+2 style (3 equal steps in a double). They also do Lauro
>> that way, even though it's Italian. In both cases they do it that way
>> because of Ingrid Brainard's influence. I'd be interested to hear
>> about places that *don't* do Lauro or the Burgundians with 3 equal
>> steps.
>
> Well, we don't. Trying to think back to when we started doing these, I
> think we might have tried a few different reconstructions with different
> tempi (including 2+2+2 and even 4/2)

Is that what happened with the Eschewynge of Ydelnesse version of Basse
Alenchon?  The music was so lovely I decided to learn the dance, only
then realized it wasn't what I considered a bassedance ...

> Is Danse de Cleves usually done the same way? I think it is at least
> partly because this tune (and similarly the tune written out for La
> franchoise nouvelle) seemed (to us) so obviously to have a 3+3 structure
> that we went with that by default for all other Burgundian dances. I can't
> recall ever seeing anyone teach or dance Danse de Cleves with equal length
> steps in the double.

When I first learned it, in the early 90s (I can't remember if from Dr.
Brainard or within the SCA) it was with the 2+2+2 doubles. When I
started teaching it again a few years back I did it completely with
Italian steps (including sometimes turning the end of the processional
part, where there are 2 singles forward and one double back, into a
volta del gioioso.)

Balliamo
Rosina