[SCA-Dance] Halfe Hannikin

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed May 21 22:50:33 EDT 2008

Anent
    <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~white/ECD/halfhannikin.html>
    <http://www.srcf.ucam.org/round/dances/cdb/cdb4/hannikin>

On Thu, 15 May 2008, White, John <john.white at drexel.edu> wrote:
> > My first thought:
> >
> > - after each rep, the women leave the second turning to go down
> >    one position.  This makes each rep the same, and has more
> >    precise placement (in a sense) than the half-way movement of
> >    drexel.
>
> Playford is actually pretty specific at least as to how the dancers
> end up progressing - after the first repetition, man 1 and woman x
> end up outside the set, with everyone else having adjusted
> accordingly ("First man stand alone, and the last Wo. stand alone,
> the rest of the men take all the next We..")  It is therefore
> basically mandatory to have everyone moving at the same time, rather
> than just one side of the set (especially when, as listed, the women
> will be wrapping around the bottom of the set and coming up the
> men's side, so you can't have the women "go{ing} down one position"
> every rep - thus the half-way movement I attempted to describe (the
> end of the second part: "First man take the 2. man with his left
> hand, last Wo. taking the next Wo. with her right hand.").

I see *I* was unclear in my explanation.  "It is therefore basically
mandatory to have everyone moving at the same time" is covered in my
notion: it's just that the men come out of the turn back in their
normal position, and the women come out of the turn down a place.
It's the same notion as your half-position movement, just, er, shifted
down half a position.    It has the same effect in leaving #1 man and
#n woman out on odd reps and giving a space for them to fill in on the
even reps.  It would creep down the hall, but as I noted, the
progressive dances I've been in tend to creep up the hall.

I think I'll go with your notion of "progress half a place" anyway.

> I've also started teaching Millison's Jegge, which is basically a
> simpler (and earlier) version of Black Nag, and it works with the
> same music.
> Yea, it's a little messy, but with the correct music (not that there
> are a lot of sources unless you have live musicians)

I found
<http://www.dhds.org.uk/publications/bookcontents.html#2003>, which
has a link to a sample MP3 at
<http://www.dhds.org.uk/publications/dancesofcourtandcountry/11_Millisons_Jegge.mp3>
The page says "Samples from some of the recordings are provided, shown
by the gramophone icon. They are typically 1 minute long, are in MP3
format and heavily compressed to reduce download times; each file is
around 250 Kbyte."  But it sounds pretty decent to me, though I'm no
audiophile.  No intro or even pause, alas.

Danett de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com