[SCA-Dance] ly bens/parson's

Mary Railing mrailing at kiva.net
Mon May 19 13:02:43 EDT 2008

There is nothing in the source to suggest that ly bens is done in a line
of couples, or even that it would have been done by more than one couple
at a time.  Doing it in a line is an SCA convenience, so if it isn't
convenient for your group, don't do it.  Locally we don't do it in a line.
We just depend on individual couples to steer clear of each other.
However, I've seen it done in a line at events without tangling by spacing
the couples, rather than moving in a tight circle, and taking care to move
along the same track, even if that means backing up in a curve instead of
straight. Whether this is easier or harder than not dancing in a line is
your call.

--Urraca