[SCA-Dance] slip steps and German evidence

Lisa Marx shusmarx at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 00:16:51 EDT 2008

I've been looking at woodcuts of dance from Germany in the first half of the 16th century.  So far most of them are peasants, not nobility, with an occasional noble joining in.  That said, the dances look amazingly like the Old Measures, and begin with goosestep-like processions of what I'm guessing are doubles.  They are then followed by a longer series of a variety of other movements, but still in a processional-type line.  Many of them have embraces that remind me of Madam Sosilia.

In one of the woodcuts there's a couple facing and holding hands like in the slip steps, but there's no indication of a direction of movement.  In another (more upper-class) woodcut, there's a couple turned to face each other, and the lady is holding the gentleman's arm.

I'll (hopefully) be publishing part 1 of the article I'm writing on it in the April edition of the Letter of Dance.

Elisa