[SCA-Dance] Mundane Songs for Medieval/Renaissance Dances

John Byron Boyd lutenist at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 21 23:19:03 EST 2008

Good gentles of the list:

I apologize for the tardiness of this response.  I tried to send the following comment on either the 12th or 13th, but it did not post.

original comment:

Here in Meridies, some Renaissance dances that have been set to
modern tunes are:

Hole in the Wall            Personal Jesus
Posties Jig                 Sex on Wheels (already mentioned)
Trenchmore                  Istanbul, not Constantinople

Other adaptations I have heard in this Kingdom are one dance that was
performed to Wheel in the Sky and another to a tune by the Medieval
Bæbes, but can't remember their names.  A third has been set to The
Safety Dance, probably Rufty Tufty, as has been said.

I have heard The Mouseketeer's Theme used for Heralds in Love while
at Pennsic.

Hlaford (Lord) Iohann se pipere
Sable, a gyron argent
Ars Longa Vita Brevis (art endures, life ends)