[SCA-Dance] Modern Music for Renaissance Dances

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Jan 15 11:37:54 EST 2008

At 04:11 PM 1/14/2008 -0500, Ben Cogan wrote:
>Some ones that were popular in my neckl of the woods.
>
>Roam - B52s       works for Road to the Isles.

A modern Scottish dance, apparently based on the Varsovienne, which was
fashionable in the late nineteenth century. It is adapted to a different
rhythm from the Varsovienne. The "Road to the Isles" that is well known in
the SCA has additional figures (mainly from Gay Gordons), and some do the
first figure in a faster and more even rhythm, which might have been
adapted from Strathspey setting steps.

>Kiss - Love Gun    works for Jenny Pluck Pemmegranates (1 six couple
>variation on Jenny pluck pears)

Does it also work for Jenny Pluck Pears, or does the adaptation have a
different number of bars?

>Boiled in Lead  has lots of "country songs from various countries."
>dance Korobushka to Rasputin

As I have said in a different reply, the original Korobushka was a late
nineteenth century dance.

>dance john Tallis Cannon to Drowning

If I am correctly informed, John Tallis' Canon was choreographed by Pat
Shuldham-Shaw (AKA Pat Shaw) in 1965. I think I have been told that the
dance usually done in the SCA is an adaptation of this dance, or else a new
dance inspired thereby, and is thus more recent. I don't know either
version very well (not my period).

--
Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon