[SCA-Dance] Quadran Pavan

Meredith Courtney meredith at livingpaper.org
Thu Feb 14 21:13:15 EST 2008

Hi: My current understanding of the pavan is that it is fundamentally a
processional, and that one ornaments it by doing fancier steps, not by
floor pattern.

Regardless of whether you believe the steps for the Quadran pavan result
in an I-beam shape or a square shape, it does appear to be a processional
dance that doesn't process anywhere.  Years ago, I had a ***speculation***
that this might have derived from theatrical space constraints, i.e.
presenting a procession during a masque, and there wasn't room to go
anywhere after the procession had formed up.  I no longer think that,
partly because it appears that performing a masque on a stage was a pretty
late development.  But I do think that the point of pavan is to put
yourself and your partner on display, not to do a dance that is
interesting for its own sake - and I admit that this can be a hard sell to
a group of social dancers who spend most of their time in the 21st
century, some of whom would freak at the idea that anyone was actually
Looking At them.  While rehearsing our masque last year, I had the
Goddesses dancing the pavan as a stage presence exercise, and I *think*
that worked pretty well.  ("You're Goddesses!  Dance like you own the
continent!  OK, <X> owns at least the surrounding 5 states ...")

I don't currently believe this, but there have been times that I thought
it possible that pavan was only sort-of a dance, it was "just" the way you
were supposed to move in certain formal circumstances.  (Mostly this
happened at times I was focusing on Arbeau. :)  To take a not-very-close
modern analogy, is the movement of fashion models on a runway a dance?
It isn't normal walking (not to my eyes anyway).

Mara