[SCA-Dance] Greetings and question

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Feb 8 16:41:01 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:00:38AM -0700, Catriona A. Morganosa wrote:

> Well, I think I can put a potential spin on that one. Shakespeare wrote
> "Romeo and Juliet" within our SCA time period (pre-1600), and in it, Act IV
> Scene 5 to be precise, Peter requests the musicians play Heart's Ease.

... there are 2 tunes named Heart's Ease. The other one is also known
as the Honeysuckle Almain, and was printed in Holborne's _Pavanes,
Galliards_ in 1599. The one in Playford was first printed in Playford.

The earliest ballad reference is in an interlude in _Misogonus_, a
play written in 1576-1577. It kinda fits Playford's tune better than
the Honeysuckle tune, but it still requires "stretching", says
Simpson. There are also 2 ballads in the Shirburn MS which mention
Heart's Ease as a tune.

-- Gregory