[SCA-Dance] Greetings and question

Mikuláš migulas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:37:02 EST 2008

Ben Cogan wrote:
> A lot of these dances go as late as 1790s.
> Brandubh
>
> On 2/7/08, Catriona A. Morganosa <catriona_a_morganosa at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Female Sailor is "way out of period"? I'm afraid I've learned many dances
>> from an old master from almost two decades ago.  The man has since gone on
>> to become a Laurel of dance but he no longer does the dances he taught me.
>>
>> Although I have been told that progressive dances like Hole in the Wall and
>> Well Hall are not period but I was never told when they were, or why they
>> are taught and danced so vigorously within the SCA if they are taboo. Is it
>> truly wrong to dance these dances? From the way some aficionados talk, it is
>> the greatest travesty known to man to dance one of these.
>>
>> Stâpanâ Catriona Morganosa, OP
>>
>> "They can gnaw a man in half in 30 seconds."
>> "Ew! Who times that?"

>> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>> 11:17 AM

You can easily check which longways for as many as will are fine for SCA
period on

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/playford/xref.html

It's a list of dances from the second edition (1653), which is allmost
the same as the first one; they are sorted by the type of the dance (eg.
for four, for six, etc.).
Some of the widely popular dances came out definitely much, much later
than half of the century.

Mikulas