[SCA-Dance] Saltarello la Regina and Saltarello II?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Apr 11 17:26:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:41:02PM -0500, Tim McDaniel wrote:

> The Terpsichore dance book says that Saltarello la Regina and
> Saltarello II are SCA choreographies.  Are they period style at all?

You can find the original article about this dance in the Letter of
Dance:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol1/regina.html

Ihon's article about Saltarello II was in volume 5 of the LoD, which
is stuck in web pergatory at the moment, awaiting a few fixes.

The first one has been discussed here a couple of times. It comes
across to me as being a bit too much like ECD: the tune chosen happens
to have a 'chorus' and the open and closed endings happen to be of the
same length. If you instead used a more typical tune without these
features you'd probably choreograph a pretty different dance to
it... perhaps you'd have different step sequences for the open and
closed endings.

Also, later 15c dances in the Saltarello misura have syncopated steps,
and have 2 motions per 3 beat group. The choreography treats the music
like an ECD jig, with 1 motion per 3 beat group.

If you look back at the previous discussion, there were plenty of
opinions expressed.

-- Gregory