[SCA-Dance] German Dance

Mary Railing mrailing at kiva.net
Wed Apr 9 12:17:17 EDT 2008

These dances came from the Nurnberg manuscript [also called by
another name--begins with C-- I'm not where I can look it up]. It is a
collection of Italian dances written in German.  As Thea, who taught the
class, pointed out, it is not clear whether these should be regarded as
German varients or Bolognese variants, since that's where the author
learned these dances.

There is no period source for specifically German choreographies, but
there are written references to German style dances (all those things
called "Tedescha", "Alemane", etc.), whatever that may mean.  There is
also a lot of dance music by German composers, which resembles dance music
elsewhere in Europe (galliards, etc.)

--Urraca