[SCA-Dance] n couples in couple dances?

Meredith Courtney meredith at livingpaper.org
Sat Oct 13 17:22:43 EDT 2007

Hi: The more I learn about these things, the less certain I become that
there's only one answer.

If you can lay hands on a copy of Barbara Sparti's "On the Practice or Art
of Dancing", chapter 3 "Dancing in Fifteenth-Century Italian Society" has
a lot of good information in it: be sure to read the footnotes as well as
the text.

My current belief, based on that chapter and on bits and pieces picked up
over the years (I can't always remember where they all came from): there
were some occasions where bassedanze and balli were done by multiple
couples, and other occasions where the same dances were done
single-threaded.

Mara