[SCA-Dance] Haut Barrois branle

Mikuláš migulas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 10:59:51 EST 2007

Greetings back!

Kirsten Garner wrote:
> I don't know as I can agree with that. To take this
> back to Haut Barrois, Arbeau says that for the first
> step we are to jump from two feet and fall into pied
> largy gaulche ("en tumbant sur pied largy gaulche").
> To me that seems more like he's saying, "jump and end
> up in this pose" than "jump and step left".

Well, I don't see much to argue with here. Yes, he perhaps wants us to
jump and end in the pose of "pieds largis gaulche" but not "pieds largis
obliques gaulche". I think your fears of having to put your weight on
one foot only would be reasonable if he would force you to do it "oblique".

I don't see much point in turning your body there and back again with
each step and analyzing where exactly is your weight. And it might get a
bit hectit when dancing a bit faster - and hault Barrois sould be done
fast.
> I think I'm still a little confused. But maybe it's self-inflicted and I'm over-analyzing. :)

Oh, yes, I tend to do that too ;) Just try to keep it natural... Your
conclusions might be fine coming out strictly from the text (although I
believe you are making it slightly more complicated then necessary ;)
The reason I belive it is "my way" is mostly because it is more natural.

Does it make you feel any better? ;)

Mikulas