[Fwd: Re: [SCA-Dance] Haut Barrois branle]

Mikuláš migulas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:15:02 EST 2007

Kirsten Garner wrote:

> Reminder: This list now set up with no reply-to header.
> Make sure you reply to the sca-dance at andrew.cmu.edu *or* the individual.
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I'll admit to being a bit confused at the moment. I
> went back and had a look at the original. According to
> Arbeau, when one does a "pied largis gaulche", "le
> pied gaulche se repose obliquement, et le pied droicte
> soustient le corps" (the left foot rests to the side
> and the right foot holds the body). That seems to me
> to be saying that your weight should be on your
> *right* foot, not your left. This is borne out in the
> diagram just beneath it in which the gentleman
> labelled "pied largis, oblique gaulche" clearly has
> his weight on this right foot with his left foot
> setting out to the side.
>
> Likewise, in other movements, the foot signified in
> the name of the step is the foot *doing the movement*,
> not the foot supporting the body (reverence, ruade,
> rue de vache, marque pied, marque talon, pied croise,
> etc.).
>
> The way I've always done bransles and seen them done
> now seems incorrect. The weight has always been on the
> leading foot, whereas it seems Arbeau wants the weight
> on the trailing foot, somewhat behind the motion. Have
> we been doing it wrong all this time? Or is it just
> me?
>
> Julian
> Gleann Abhann

Ay!

I strongly believe that "pied largy gaulche" and pied largy oblique
galuche" are two very different things! There is a "pieds largis" with
weight on both feet. You cant get to that position with stepping one of
your feet sidaways - that makes them "pieds largis gaulche" or "pieds
largis droicte". If you would transfer your weight on active foot and
turn body out a bit, it would make "pieds largis obliques" right or
left. In branles you are (ad far as I can remember) never asked to have
"pieds largis obliques". Only "pieds largis".

The question is why he, for gods sake, describes position that is never
used? Well, I don't know. But he desribes Ru de vache too...

Hope that makes you feel better!

Mikulas