[SCA-Dance] Haut Barrois branle

Cathy Dean catherinedean at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 18:35:24 EST 2007

I'm in agreement with Mikulas on this one.  I tend to focus more on
the descriptions than the tabulations when there is any confusion
between the two.

I do my Haut Barrois-style doubles (mostly in Branle Official)
essentially as sideways moving jumping jacks (leg portion, that is),
without any arm or shoulder movement beyond what is natural and fluid
(as I would in a galliard--not stiff, but with no real intentional
movement of any sort).  Typically I don't actually have dancers do
that step for more than a few repeats of any dance, though, because
even though it's pretty easy, it's also pretty exhausting.  Your
average renaissance dancer is considerably less spry than the athletic
teenagers who were doing this in Arbeau's day!

Katherine Mercer