[SCA-Dance] Dance at A&S Competitions

Beth Gurzler bgdeonna at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:02:32 EDT 2007

Hi all

There are certainly things you can look at for ECD and documentation for a
competition.  Many of the dances and certainly the ones I choose to teach
can be justified.    After all, we know that country dances existed.  The
problem is that few of them were written down.

Is the tune or dance name documentable in period: in a play, in a festival
book, in a letter?

Is the dance style documentable.   We can certainly  compare dance styles -
longways vs circles, progressing vs static etc. and look at
German/French/Italian  styles

That is how we came up with justification for some of the ECD's back in the
old days when I first started teaching.While we know that dances evolve and
can't be sure that were doing it like they did, we can at least get close.

That would mean that the documentation portion of the judging criteria could
have to have a range like other things like style, accuracy etc.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Deonna