[SCA-Dance] Dancers Wanted for Wheaton Village Demo - 9/17/06 - NJ

janeeve2001 Janeeve2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 17:59:07 EDT 2006

There will be an Italian Festival at Wheaton Village in Millville,
NJ,featuring the Italian Renaissance Sunday, September 17, 2006.
Participants will meet at 9am, and the demo/program runs 11am-4pm.

The hope is to get as many of the Branslers et al. musicians out
there as possible, though the warning is that the greater majority
of the music is Italian (with some of the bransles and such tossed
in). There are four points during the day with music: the opening
gate (just something boistrous, possibly even louds); a courtly
dance session; a short concert of music; and the end wedding, which
will include a processional (potentially louds and
drums), soft recorder music during the ceremony, and then a dance
consisting of some the simpler bouncier stuff. Now how often do we
perform louds in public <G>?

The actual music pieces would be:
For court dance: Amoroso, Anello, Gelosia, Rostiboli, possibly
Saltarello

For concert: Not fixed yet - possibly include Canario, Contrapasso
Nuovo, Mercantia, Villanella, some Italian Madrigal, and some
Italian song (Defendio Core maybe, if Edie can make it and is
willing?).

For processional, probably Belle Qui.

For Wedding Ceremony, either Vattene almo riposo (more interesting
but more difficult) or Come lieta si mostra, both from the
Florentine Wedding Music of 1539 are simple quartets (former SATB,
latter SSTB). I will post music for this (already typed and ready
thanks to Siobhan).

For Wedding Dance - Ballo del fiore, Petit Vriens, Horses, Ly Bens,
Pinaguy, maybe Peas, and a line dance (which I'll post music for -
very simple).

The event schedule goes roughly as follows:

Basic theme is a contested wedding, with the daughter of a Venician
lord marrying a chosen man, and an older individual trying to butt
in to get the Venician's fortune.

There will be an opening "Mass" starting at 10am, following a short
slide show about Venice in the Event Center. We do not participate
in this.

Main Site opens at 11am with some brief show by the gate, including
some music, introduction of the basic plot, and general directions
about what is happening during the day.

12 noon there will be a Puppet Show (organized by Wheaton from a
local traditional maker).

1pm will have Italian court dances.

1:30pm will have short music concert (including dance and vocal
music).

2pm will have Chess Match (organized by a theatrical fighting
company).

3pm will have a "wedding ceremony" - a processional from the main
gate area to
the wedding stage. A small ceremony based on the Medici text, and
followed by
general music and dancing, potentially including the audience.

4pm site more or less closes.

During the day there will be demonstrations of calligraphy, food,
masks, glass, and any other artisans we can collect. Also would be
great if we could get a seige weapon on site, which would be able to
fire into the lake on site.

Demonstrations may be done outdoors (with tables, chairs and whatnot
provided) assuming the weather is good. There is a very large indoor
space as well (which is where everything will take place should the
weather turn bad), and where arts and crafts may be displayed if
necessary, again with tables, chairs and other display space
provided.

If you need more info, please contact me privately at:
janeeve2001@ yahoo.com

Lady Jane Milford
THL Justinian Timagenes
Master Arden Iacomb