[SCA-Dance] Dit de Bourgignon

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Sun Feb 26 15:58:15 EST 2006

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> Many years ago, I was taught the dance "Dit de
> Bourgignon" by Duchess Diana Alene.  I still have the
> music and the choreography, but I can't find where
> this dance came from.  Is it a period dance, or is it
> modern choreography?  Could anyone give me information
> about this?  Thanks.

Let's see -- this ought to be in the old East Kingdom Dance Book, since
it's of that period. Yep, here it is.

Okay -- modern choreography, albeit more reputable in origin than some.
The introductory paragraph:

"This dance is a re-creation of a "choral", or round dance using dance
steps of the period of the music, "Dit de Bourgignon", as choreographed
by Dr. Ingrid Brainard."

So it's more or less in the same genre as Quen Quer Que -- a reasonably
well-informed guess at what a chorale might look like.

Note that Ingrid was *very* strict in her later days that SCA accounts
should be listed as "based on the work of Dr. Ingrid Brainard" -- I get
the impression that she'd been feeling a bit burned by SCA
mistransmissions of her work in the past, and didn't want to be blamed
for our mistakes any more. So it probably shouldn't be taken for granted
that it's a faithful communication of her choregraphy...

				-- Justin