[SCA-Dance] A few more random thoughts about the Volta

Meghan Roberts magnunnr at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 7 17:08:53 EST 2006

I was playing for a couple to practice La Volte at Pennsic, and
had accidentally mis-read a note to make a more "Normal"
progression.  The couple kept saying they were furstrated with
the timing, and eventually we narrowed it down to that bar, at
which point, I realized I was playing one tone, or half a tone,
I can't remember which, higher than I should be on one note.

I fixed it, and suddenly the timing worked for them...

Which was surprising, because I was still playing exactly the
same timing.  I still think my error *sounded* nicer, and as a
dancer I'd not really guessed that something like that could
really make such a big difference.

Anyway, that's my one relavant experience.

-Unnr

--- Alex Clark <alexbclark at pennswoods.net> wrote:

> Reminder: This list now set up with no reply-to header.
> Make sure you reply to the sca-dance at andrew.cmu.edu *or* the
> individual.

> At 07:59 PM 2/6/2006 -0500, L.J. Sparvero wrote:
> >Has anyone taken a look at the various Volta/Lavolta music
> out there, and
> >looked for tactus clues? It might give some hints on the
> "jump on 3 or 4?"
> >thread. Just a thought.  -Lyev
>
> Just based on Arbeau, I'm pretty sure that the jump should go
> right across
> beats 3-5. Arbeau's tabulation shows the "saut majeur"
> straddling beats 3
> and 4 in each measure, and each note on 4 does for 5 as well.
> So what I
> figure is that the push against the floor begins just after
> the foot
> placement on 2, the woman is elevated throughout beats 3-5,
> and she lands on 6.
>
> --
> Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark

  "Sjalfr Sjalfum mér..."