[SCA-Dance] Maypole

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 10:28:39 EDT 2006

(dammit, I hate the reply-to setup on this list!)

  One inch wide ribbon would not be sturdy enough or wide enough for use on a Maypole.  You'd want at least 2-3 inches wide and thick enough not to tear apart on the first use.

  As I mentioned, I found the whole set for $125, so that's not much of a price difference, thankfully!

  I'd price PVC, if I were you.  It's more than that.  I was concerned about the sturdiness of a thin wooden pole (plus the necessary connectors).  Some connector problem with PVC.  Having a designed system that can be adjusted for kids and adults is very handy.  Avoids construction hassles, too.

  I'm not about to ask people to lug around a concrete block!  Having a base that can be filled -- and, more importantly, emptied -- with sand or water is infinitely more practical and mobile.

  I'm fine, thanks.  Just get a bit tired of sharing information only to have someone else either see it as an opportunity for 'oneupsmanship' or bitch about it without providing a better solution.  Not the first time I've seen it.  Sometimes it seems like the simple courtesy of a thank you is too much to ask for.

  Duriel

Philip Edward Lewis <flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
  Reminder: This list now set up with no reply-to header.
Make sure you reply to the sca-dance at andrew.cmu.edu *or* the individual.

Tom Vincent writes:
>I'll believe that when I see it.
do note-- the "set" you posted is for a ring and 12 1"x12'(I assume
the " is a misprint on the site) ribbons only. It is "For use with BLUE SPORT
Poles and Bases". The vollyball base with 10' pole is another 60. (on
that site) Total cost $144.

>Building an indoor/outdoor base would be pricey, too.
Pole could be a piece of PVC, or better--wooden closet rod.
PVC is dirt cheap, and closet rod isn't that expensive. Perhaps $1/ft?

Indoor/outdoor base would be the price of a bag of concrete mix. <$10?
Mix full bag of concrete, pour into box lined with a garbage bag,
insert and plumb the pole (greased or bagged if you want to remove it)
and brace till set. can't think of a cheap "ring" offhand, perhaps a
large screw eye or a wreath of grapevines/supple branches.
(Forsythia should work)

>The price of ribbon alone would be well over $100,
>and that wouldn't even be very sturdy.
I have no idea what 144' of 1" wide ribbon costs. that's 48
yards... so even at $1/yard (I have this vague recollection that cheap
trim costs about that) that's $50.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=nylon+ribbon
has a first hit for 1.5" ribbon@ .69/yard.
I have no idea how sturdy it is. ;)

Just some thoughts.
I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad.
Go outside and get some fresh almost may air, you sound stressed.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

With the following body: