[SCA-Dance] Maypole

Philip Edward Lewis flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 28 09:02:28 EDT 2006

Tom Vincent <tomrvincent at yahoo.com> writes:
>I'll believe that when I see it.
do note-- the "set" you posted is for a ring and 12 1"x12'(I assume
the " is a misprint on the site) ribbons only. It is "For use with BLUE SPORT
Poles and Bases". The vollyball base with 10' pole is another 60. (on
that site) Total cost $144.

>Building an indoor/outdoor base would be pricey, too.
Pole could be a piece of PVC, or better--wooden closet rod.
PVC is dirt cheap, and closet rod isn't that expensive. Perhaps $1/ft?

Indoor/outdoor base would be the price of a bag of concrete mix. <$10?
Mix full bag of concrete, pour into box lined with a garbage bag,
insert and plumb the pole (greased or bagged if you want to remove it)
and brace till set.  can't think of a cheap "ring" offhand, perhaps a
large screw eye or a wreath of grapevines/supple branches.
(Forsythia should work)

>The price of ribbon alone would be well over $100,
>and that wouldn't even be very sturdy.
I have no idea what 144' of 1" wide ribbon costs. that's 48
yards... so even at $1/yard (I have this vague recollection that cheap
trim costs about that) that's $50.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=nylon+ribbon
has a first hit for 1.5" ribbon@ .69/yard.
I have no idea how sturdy it is. ;)

Just some thoughts.
I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad.
Go outside and get some fresh almost may air, you sound stressed.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip