[SCA-Dance] FW: music suggestions for ECD CD

White, John john.white at drexel.edu
Wed Nov 16 11:10:41 EST 2005

> From:  Mary Railing

>   The Playford dances I would vote for are Night Peece,
> Saturday Night &
> Sunday Morn, and Lord of Carnarvon's Jig (The coolest progression in
> Playford, but the only recording I know of is from a 30 year
> old German
> record album.)

I'd like to plug two CDs:  The English Dancing Master, a 2 CD set
available from EFDSS (and its Stateside counterpart, the CFDSS in
Massachusets), which has the proper structure for Night Peece,
and On a May Morn by the St Mark's Consort (a midi/mp3 recording
of synthesized music, but it's cheap and it works until something
better comes along), which has a nearly perfect version of Lord
Carnarvon's Jig (it has an extra repeat of the verse music, if
I remember, which allows you to "march off stage").

>   For your "sampler" CD, I would urge you to resist the temptation to
> produce an "SCA Top Ten Favorites" collection.  The dance world is not
> waiting for yet another recording of Rostibolli.  Jouissance, Musica
> Subterranea and others have already produced that sort of CD.
> You will get
> more attention with dances for which there isn't recorded
> music readily
> available.

I absolutely agree.  It is really frustrating to have 15 versions of
Rostibolli, and only the midi-version of Vita di Colino (that works
with the reconstruction).

> Most Arbeau branles have been done to death, but there are
> some missing:
> Trihory, the *real* Maltese Branle, Poitou, Candlestick (long
> enough to
> switch partners several times).

The New York Renaissance Band's Orchesographie has all of these
on it (though perhaps not at great length, but it's a starting
point).

>   Being a big fan of 16th century Italian dances, I *could* recommend
> enough to fill a CD.

Yes!  We need MORE 16th C Italian music!!

> --Urraca Yriarte de Gamboa (Middle Kingdom)

       \\Dafydd Cyhoeddwr