[SCA-Dance] FW: music suggestions for ECD CD

Courtney Meredith Meredith.Courtney at comverse.com
Tue Nov 15 11:02:21 EST 2005

 Not for an ECD-oriented CD: but I'd like to make a pitch for some
Burgundian dances - they really ought to be better known than they are,
and I'm convinced that one of the problems is the lack of music that
both sounds nice and is played at a comfortable dance tempo.  And the
problem with *that*, is that in order for ordinary mortals to dance them
comfortably, they have to be played much faster than musicians want to
play them.  Heck, when I'm just listening to the pieces, I want to hear
them played more slowly than I'm comfortable dancing them.

Suggestions: Beaulte de Castille, Danse de Cleves, La Francoise
Nouvelle, Alenchon.  And for a tempo benchmark: there's a track on one
of the Tape of Dance albums, I think it is vol 3, called "Le Moi de
Mai", recorded by the Carolingian Guild of Jongleurs in 1976.

Mara

Meredith Courtney
Comverse