[SCA-BMDL] Fwd: [SCA-AE] [SCA-AEnnounce] More on Fencing and Fighting - with video

Muirgheal inghean Dubhghaill muirgheall at gmail.com
Mon May 10 08:45:43 EDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: AE Seneschal <seneschal at aethelmearc.org>
Date: Sun, May 9, 2021, 3:11 PM
Subject: [SCA-AE] [SCA-AEnnounce] More on Fencing and Fighting - with video
To: announcements at aethelmearc.org <announcements at aethelmearc.org>

Video -

https://youtu.be/HXiR58M2kqk

Greetings from Illadore, Your Kingdom Seneschal!

As most of you have heard or seen, we are allowing fighting and fencing as
of May 10th and I am so excited to get back out there and stab people.
However, I have been asked a few questions about the lifting of the fencing
and fighting ban, so I thought I would cover a few of them today.

Here's what is required by the Board of Directors, the President of the
SCA, the Society Seneschal, and AEthelmearc:

For practices: masks must be worn at all times, no food or water will be
provided, if you want to consume food or water you must be stationary and
follow social distancing guidelines, and all fencing and fighting practices
must be outdoors. That last is a change from gatherings like sewing circles
and scribal night.  These are for small practices.  If you have a large
regional practice, that is an event.

For events, all of the above is required - PLUS pre-registration is
required, and maximum of 150 people.

Let's talk masks because that is where I am getting the most questions. The
Society Seneschal's guidance is that masks must follow CDC guidelines. That
means two layers of breathable cloth fabric, or a disposable medical mask,
it must completely cover your nose and mouth, no valves, no see through
fabric or the like.

The mask MUST be against your face and cover your mouth and nose - not over
your helm or fencing mask. That has been clarified by the Society Seneschal
specifically. A plastic shield is not sufficient. However, if you have a
new design idea, the Board of Directors is interested, particularly if it
has already been fabricated.

Masks are, full stop, a requirement. If someone will not wear one, they
must be asked to leave by the Marshal in charge, Autocrat, or local
seneschal. Now, masks slip now and then or people are forgetful. We should
all be kind and remind each other of the rules. However, if someone won't
comply, they cannot stay at the SCA event. Period.  If there is an issue
with non-compliance, contact me or your regional seneschal immediately.

Food and water questions: Yes, you can give water to the people you live
with and hand a sandwich to your child; however, that's it. No communal
water (and especially no more drinking out of the same tube in a water jug
anymore.)  We can give out sealed water bottles; however.  Just please
recycle.

Demos - Yes, we can do demos; however, there needs to be a barrier between
the SCA and the rest of the public. Think of two sets of list ropes, an
inner rope where we can do our activities, and an outer rope where the
public can stand.  Also, yes at demos, we must wear masks,  in addition to
any other state and local guidelines.

Also, when you first get out there, I recommend bringing more water than
you think you'll need. I also recommend bringing several masks to change
out, as it gets hard to breath through masks when they get soaked from
sweat and heavy breathing.

Monica Gaudio
Kingdom Seneschal
Æthelmearc