[SCA-BMDL] Salve Accolens! A Motto for the Debatable Lands

Gwenly Grace gwenlygrace at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 22:51:24 EST 2019

Greetings,

I categorically disagree that the announcement represented a policy
decision. Furthermore, the announcement was clearly invitational in
terminology: "we hope you will join us," etc. To suggest that it was
imperious is, to put it mildly, unkind.

As a corollary, I don't recall anyone in the populace being consulted or
asked to vote about "Ad gloriam AEthelmearc" (or the original and incorrect
"In Glorias" version)--it was decided by a sitting royal and it was the
task of that royalty to exhort the populace to follow. We did in fact force
a modification, but we could, collectively, have decided "Nope, not doing
that."

Similarly, if someone writes a song for the barony or the kingdom, it's not
a requirement that the populace adopt it. To me a motto falls in the same
category, and is well within the purview of the Baron and Baroness.

I have no objection to soliciting suggestions, or asking for a vote, but I
believe the original motto is fitting, and was chosen with only good
intention. But vote or no vote, let's be clear that nothing about this
appears to be a violation of policy.

Ever in service,

Gwendolyn the Graceful, Brehyres, OL