[SCA-BMDL] Food Guild Meeting Report - 4/28

Elss Augsburg elss.of.augsburg at gmail.com
Thu May 23 17:35:22 EDT 2019

Greetings All --

The second meeting of the Food Guild was held at Protohaven on April 28th.

This meeting was to have been an experiment in cooking over an open fire
with cast iron pots and pans, combined also with a bring-an-ingredient
cook-fest. Alas, because of the cold weather, we could not be outside so we
retreated to the break room inside Protohaven.

Here’s the results:

We had two ways to cook – a small microwave, and a single-burner electric
hot plate. We had a large frying pan, a small frying pan, and a small sauce
pan.

We had a ridiculous amount of food, because everybody brought four or five
or six things, including three bottles of grains of paradise! The protein
provided for this challenging day was skinless, boneless chicken breasts.

Dishes we made:

Sliced chicken sautéed in butter and olive oil, with chopped dates, the
zest, pulp, and juice of two oranges, and heavy cream. Needed more salt,
and to be served over rice to catch all the sauce.

Roman carrots, thinly sliced and steamed in the microwave, with wine
vinegar, sugar, and honey.

Spaghetti squash cooked in the microwave with water and olive oil, then
pulled into strands and served hot, with butter, salt, and mace.

Leeks, very thinly sliced, cooked in butter and olive oil, with cinnamon,
nutmeg, salt, long pepper, and heavy cream.

Asparagus steamed in a pan in the microwave with water and olive oil, then
sautéed with the zest and juice of one lemon, grains of paradise,
galangale, salt and long pepper.

We ate every last bit of every dish, scraping out every drop of the sauces.
So very delicious.

Though the food was amazing, the best part of the day was cooking with
everyone, sharing ideas and suggestions. It looked like total chaos, yet it
all came together with everyone helping.

We WILL cook over a fire at our next meeting. Well, weather permitting.

Remember that the requirement for attending a Food Guild meeting is that
you are interested in food: cooking it, reading about it, thinking about
it, eating it, or whatever.

Our next meeting will be on June 2nd. Watch for the announcement, coming
soon to an electronic device near you!

Eat well, my friends!

 Elss  Augsburg