[SCA-BMDL] Greetings from the new Largesse Coordinator

Brandie C. chefmom at live.com
Thu May 16 15:02:55 EDT 2019

Good afternoon, Barony! :)​
​
Tierrany Rose Orre, new Largesse Coordinator, here. I posted my first intro a couple of weeks ago on the Barony's Facebook page and was advised to also post to this email list and the website. If you saw the FB post, the following is essentially the exact same post for consistency's sake, with a few exceptions.​
​
New info: I now have a fancy schmancy official email address - largesse at debatablelands.org :) Also, I sadly won't be at War Practice but am planning to attend the Barony meeting on May 26th at Highland Park, so come talk to me there! :)​
​
Also new: Inspired by an amazing idea on my FB post, I'd love to start something called Legacy Largesse. Were you gifted a small fits-in-a-basket-sized-item that has a fun backstory that still feels like it has an adventure or three left in it? Or something that was lovingly crafted by an artisan who is no longer with us, but which deserves another round of recognition and appreciation? If you would consider passing on these cherished items to be gifted again by new hands to new hands, I'd love to facilitate that. We can work this a couple of ways. First, we want the legend - where did you get it, who did it come from, when? I'll make specially labeled tags for these, which you can either fill out and attach to the item or you can get me the item and the info and I can fill out the tag. Alternately, you could write a brief letter to be gifted along with the item. In this way, these items can continue to connect people across the Known World.​
​
I received a lot of really great feedback and insight on the original FB post, but would LOVE to hear more! Let's keep this an ongoing conversation! :) ​
​
On to the original info. ​
​
About me: I'm Tierrany Rose Orre, and I'm passionately new to the SCA and this group. My family and I have attended several events and camped with the barony last year at Pennsic. Recently, at Coronation, our sweet Baroness asked if I would like to take up the reins as Largesse Coordinator, and I happily agreed. And then immediately started panicking! O.O ​
​
Being very new to the SCA, this task seems incredibly intimidating yet exciting - I'm honestly going on instinct and Google. ;) On the other hand, I'm extremely shy, so if I don't have a specific reason to talk to people, I generally won't. This gives me a really good reason to step out of my shell. :) ​
​
Thusly bolstered, I bring forth to you all some questions and a request. ​
​
The Questions: ​
​
* What is your favorite piece of largesse that you've ever received? Any other memorable pieces? Anything that you've seen gifted out that you'd love to receive? ​
​
* Have you received items that were perhaps not so great or useful that you think might be better left off the list? (list follows at the end of this post)​
​
* Do you have any snazzy ideas for largesse that you've been kicking around, even if you personally can't or don't care to produce them? ​
​
* If you're active in one of our great guilds, might you have any ideas for projects that could be collaborated on that would showcase your guild's talents for the world to see?​
​
The Request: ​
​
As you likely know, much better than I, as Largesse Coordinator my task is to pull together baskets of items that showcase the creative talents of our Barony to be able to present to our Baron & Baroness for them to gift as needed. As I understand it, the next basket is to be gifted in September at Coronation of the new heirs. ​
​
As we commemorate the creation of this wonderful organization and way of living, I'm wondering if you could possibly set aside some time to create a little something special to add to this next basket? Or, perhaps you've already made something that seems like it was always been meant to be gifted? Anything useful or cool, from a dozen buttons left over from a finished project, right down to a handful of simple carved or painted wood tokens, is much appreciated. ​
​
I'm also hoping to be able to gather a dragon's cache of items to have in reserve for last-minute basket emergencies, so anything, any time, all year long is more than welcome!!​
​
The following is a list that I've gleaned from previous requests for largess from our Barony and beyond. Can you think of anything we should add? ​
​
The List:​
​
Paper goods:​
Thank you cards ​
Mini notebooks​
Bookmarks​
Appreciation cards (such as the Baron & Baroness gave out at 12th Night)​
​
Metal working:​
Beads​
Tokens​
Bracelets​
Rings​
Pendants​
Coins​
Pins - decorative or purposeful (bit of cork on sharp ends)​
Buttons​
Wire-weave jewelry​
Veil pins (bit of cork on sharp ends)​
​
Sewing: ​
Mini sewing kits​
Wool needle books​
Pouches & small bags​
Cloth buttons (in matching cloth bag?)​
Pin cushions​
Dolls w/outfits (kids)​
Felted wool stuffed animals (kids)​
Sewing kits for kids (embroidery hoop with yarn and needle and patterned cloth?)​
Crocheted crowns - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWMRFNPB8o​
​
Fighting/fencing/archery: ​
​
Duct tape​
Leather washers/grommets​
Chicago screws​
Leather strapping​
Buckles​
Rivets​
Bees wax​
Fletch tape​
Hot melt glue​
Tips​
Fletching​
Nocks​
Shafts​
​
Misc: ​
Candles​
Handmade beads (clay, glass, wood, etc.)​
Clay tokens​
Wooden toys, games (kids)​
Wooden award medallions​
Painted wooden boxes​
Feast condiment kits - (salt, pepper, mints, toothpicks in tiny bag)​
​
Again, as a newbie all around, I very much welcome (nay, beg for) your input and suggestions! :) ​
​
Thank you so much for your time and attention! ​
​
Tierrany Rose ​