[SCA-BMDL] Food Guild Thoughts and Ramblings

Elss Augsburg elss.of.augsburg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 17:03:36 EDT 2019

Food Friends --

I receive the Complete Anachronist every quarter, and was skimming the
latest one, The Eltham Ordinances, containing excerpts from the regulations
by Cardinal Thomas Wolsey intended to curb waste and to control spending by
Henry Vlll and his court.

Sounded pretty heavy and dull, so I put to one side for later. When I
finally picked it up, I found that most of Baroness Matilda of Swynford's
material contained much of interest to cookbook readers and historical
folks.

It covers many topics like Clerks of the Spicery, Master Cooks and Others,
Despoiling of Pleasures and Commodities in Noblemen's and Gentlemen's
Houses, and No Dogs to be Kept in Court -- something for everyone. There
are even charts of expenses for the household, and a chart showing which
day of each month that the Court will be at which of eight locations.

My copy is available for perusal, or dig out your own and check it out. Or
you can order one from here : https://members.sca.org/apps/#Store

Elss Augsburg